1. Welcome to the eTeknix Forums Guest. Please register or login and remember to read the forum guidelines to make your stay as pleasant as can be.

Desk-like PC case

Discussion in 'Cases and modifications' started by Anwnimos, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Anwnimos

Anwnimos New Member

Hi guys, I was wondering if is it worth it to make your own desk-like PC case. Lian-Li style etc.
    Ιt's a long shot (most likely I will get a normal case) but it must be cheaper than to buy a lian-li case :p

2. Rik1254

Rik1254 Well-Known Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Core i5-2500k
    Motherboard:
    Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
    Memory (RAM):
    8GB Kingston Genesis 1866Mhz DDR3
    Storage:
    Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, Samsung 830 128GB, 2TB WDG 64mb, 3TB Seagate 64mb
    Graphics Card(s):
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Corsair AX760i
    Case:
    Corsair Carbide 250D
    Monitor(s):
    Too many
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Internet Connection:
    FIBERRRRRRRRRR
    I specced up a desk build made from 5mm MDF for the desktop, sides and component housing and glass for the actual top itself. It was only a small desk (120cm x 60cm) and it was somewhere in the region of £150.
    That's excluding other parts such as nails, screws and tools to complete the task.

The only good point of building your own desk is that you can build it to your specification, so can make it as small or as large as it needs to be, but IMHO, complete waste of money unless you have some serious hardware to show off.

3. Adam Hewitt

Adam Hewitt New Member

I also thought about this years ago and priced it up with my grandad (who is into woodworking and could help me do it properly) but after seeing the cost and then the cost of a half decent system to fill it I abandoned the project. As Rik mentioned you've have to have an awesome system to even bother showing it off :)