1. Welcome to the eTeknix Forums Guest. Please register or login and remember to read the forum guidelines to make your stay as pleasant as can be.

Gimp editing tips

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by Simon Butler, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Simon Butler

Simon Butler Well-Known Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    I7 2700k
    Motherboard:
    ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
    Memory (RAM):
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2x 2x4GB
    Storage:
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB + OCZ Agility 3 128GB
    Graphics Card(s):
    MSI GTX 970 OC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Club3D CSP-D850CB
    Case:
    InWin GRone
    Monitor(s):
    AOC e2795vh
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 7 Pro
    Internet Connection:
    Virgin Media - 50 Meg
    Hi guys I was hoping that maybe the advanced users on here may be able to help both me and some of the other noobs by providing a brief explanation on what each tool does and perhaps the best way/place to use it, maybe even with diagrams to illustrate your explanation.

I would like to be able to use this program more to enable me to enter into the fun and the competitions that are based around using this tool as I don't have a copy of adobe and this being free it's friendly on the pocket.

Examples of how to do things like select a certain item in a pic, the best way to cut it out to paste on a background, layering and any other tips you think will be useful.

Looking forward to your tips/ideas guys and thank you in advance :)

2. Bla

Bla Well-Known Member

Well I've never used Gimp before, but I suppose the best way of learning how to use it is to actually just start using it? Just find the picture you want to edit, think of what and how you want to edit it and google for a tutorial. For example, if you want to change an object's colour, just google for "gimp change object colour" and follow one of the tutorials on it. At least, that's how I learnt to use Photoshop. I find it quite tedious to go over all the options and learn what each of them does.

Btw, if you scroll down this forum, there's a thread on how to get Photoshop CS2 for free. ;)

3. SynTroller

SynTroller New Member

Just check on youtube for a thing you want to do like how to make stickman move etc. or how to make stars shiny use a lot of layers and just do fun!

4. Peetza

Peetza New Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    AMD FX-8150 CPU (8x 3.60GHz/8MB L2 Cache)
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
    Memory (RAM):
    8 GB Corsair DDR3 - 1866
    Storage:
    1 TB
    Graphics Card(s):
    AMD Radeon HD 7850
    I used GIMP when playing a game called Toribash and I used to make custom textures.

It's not too complicated of a program and I would also suggest the best way to get to know the program is to use it.
    By no means am I a pro at it, but I like to think I'm proficient.

5. JasonG

JasonG Member

I gave away a copy of Photoshop CS6 a while back. I really should have sold it... :(

I could do a thread on some good ways to use GIMP tools; I used it a fair bit for my £1k Gaming System entry. I'll compare them with the Photoshop equivalent. Might take some time but I'll include some pics 'n stuff.

I guess the easiest way is to just 'mess around' in the program. But it's helpful to know what each tool is used for generally.