1. Welcome to the eTeknix Forums Guest. Please register or login and remember to read the forum guidelines to make your stay as pleasant as can be.

Lisp Dialects?

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by MajorLunaC, May 9, 2015.

1. MajorLunaC

MajorLunaC New Member

I've been looking at Lisp dialects to try, and I'm not sure which would be best for what I want. The main ones seem to be Scheme, Common Lisp, and Clojure.

My goal is a game, and separately some AI (or pseudo-AI). Yeah, go ahead and laugh about the AI part, but I'll be sending a Terminator knocking on your door first! :p

Scheme seems to be DIY (I would call it the C of the Lisps), Common Lisp seems to be the most popular (I would call it the C++ of the Lisps), and Clojure seems to be the most hyper-functional (I suppose Java?). I like Clojure at this point because it runs on JVM and actually has implementations in all the most popular languages, from C to Python, and so on. It also has SDL, and OpenGL. Common Lisp has most of that too (less scripting languages).

My real beef is with the licenses. Clojure has the Eclipse Public License, which is incompatible with GPL. Common Lisp I think is GPL. I'm worried open-source resource licenses will conflict with the Eclipse one, but I think it can be worked around by distributing the resources and the code completely separately.

So, any advice on which one I should try most? I can, of course, try them all, but I'd prefer to not get the syntax confused, as they do have important differences, despite all being Lisp.

P.S. Which one would you want to be programmed in if you were born as AI? lol :p

2. SimpleCookie

SimpleCookie Well-Known Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i5 4690K 3,5 GHz, 6MB, previously CPU Core i5 2500K
    Motherboard:
    MSI Z97S SLI-Plus, previously MSI P67A-GD65, P67, ATX B3
    Memory (RAM):
    Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz/VENG
    Storage:
    Samsung SSD EVO 850-Series 500GB and HD1TB WD SATA-600 64MB, Caviar Black
    Graphics Card(s):
    MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TwinFrozr, previously EVGA GeForce GTX 570 SC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    BeQuiet 700 W, previously XFX Core Edition 650W 80+ Bronze (RMA'd)
    Case:
    Kab Fractal Design Define R3/BLACk
    Monitor(s):
    ROG SWIFT PG278Q
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 8.1 Professional N 64bit
    Internet Connection:
    100/100 Fiber
    Well I don't know much about Lisp or even functional programming languages at all for that matter, but they did start inventing the functional languages to help with the development of AI however, as far as I know, it wasn't really any great gain from it so if you want to do a game, I would say, go for C++ if you want to do it all yourself, otherwise use a game engine like Unreal Engine 4 which is AWESOME and also free. Java is also good, a bit easier but not as fast, though, the difference might not be noticable.

I don't really know the difference of them but if you say the common lisp is like C++, then that's the one I'd like to be born in ;D I'm a C++ fan xD!

• Like Like x 1