1. Welcome to the eTeknix Forums Guest. Please register or login and remember to read the forum guidelines to make your stay as pleasant as can be.

Linux: Looking for distro suggestion for HTPC

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by dJabba, Aug 9, 2013.

1. dJabba

dJabba eTeknix Staff Forum Mod

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i5 6600K
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z170 Gaming G7
    Memory (RAM):
    32GB Kingston HyperX Fury
    Storage:
    SM951 256GB in RAID 0
    Graphics Card(s):
    EVGA GTX 980 SC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    be quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850W
    Case:
    Thermaltake Core P5
    Monitor(s):
    ASUS VS248H x3, ProLite B2888UHSU
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Pro
    Internet Connection:
    90 Mbsp Fiber Optical
    Wondering what the community thinks would be the best distro to chose for my bedroom HTPC. It's a Zotac ID40 (http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-hd-id40.html) with a 64GB SSD and 4GB ram.

While it does run win7 ... it's just to slow for my liking. What I need is my FireFox and VLC and of course driver support (and TRIM).

2. ana3mic

ana3mic Active Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel i5-760
    Motherboard:
    ASUS P7P55D PRO
    Memory (RAM):
    Corsair Vengeance LP White
    Storage:
    Kingston V200 128GB + 2x1TB + 2TB HDDs
    Graphics Card(s):
    GIGABYTE GTX 670 OC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Corsair HX850
    Case:
    Cooler Master 690 II Adv
    Monitor(s):
    Dell UltraSharp U2311H
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 7 x64
    Do you want an out of the box Media Center experience or do you need to use the underlying OS often and start applications from it? In both cases I would suggest you use XBMC as Media Center (Player). There are essentially three ways to do that:
    1.OpenELEC, it's a small footprint Linux distribution built with the idea to run XBMC, boot fast and install easy. It's drawback is there is not much else you can do with it, you don't have desktop, you can't install applications, etc. which can be a pro if you don't want to mess with anything.
    2.XBMCbuntu, it's a similar experience but you get a full underlying OS, you can fiddle with it, you can install other applications, like torrent client, Sickbeard, etc.
    3. Use Ubuntu as it's probably the best distro to get into Linux (after that you'll be able to chose what distro to use on your own) and install XBMC for Linux, this will boot to the OS desktop and you can run whatever you want, be that XBMC or anything else.

If you have any more questions or need help setting this thing up, I'd be happy to help.

3. dJabba

dJabba eTeknix Staff Forum Mod

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i5 6600K
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z170 Gaming G7
    Memory (RAM):
    32GB Kingston HyperX Fury
    Storage:
    SM951 256GB in RAID 0
    Graphics Card(s):
    EVGA GTX 980 SC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    be quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850W
    Case:
    Thermaltake Core P5
    Monitor(s):
    ASUS VS248H x3, ProLite B2888UHSU
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Pro
    Internet Connection:
    90 Mbsp Fiber Optical
    Maybe I should have been a bit clearer .. sometimes I just think half of it and end up never saying it (or writing it, hehe).

I got multiple NAS running, they handle all my files, downloads etc and it's obviously also where my media run from. They also all have DLNA, so XBMC sure might be an easy way. Didn't know of the XMBCUbuntu, just the OpenELEC. This makes it a lot more interesting.

In the end all my needs for this little PC is that I can open a browser to check mail, facebook and youtube (rare, but it happens that I prefer that over tablet in bed) and a media player. VLC always done good for me, why my thoughts went that direction.

But in the end, any media player with build in codecs like that, where i can select a folder and it plays all media incl subfolders and i can set random ... then I have all I need.

Was thinking of Ubuntu itself too, as it's relative easy to go right to. I do have some linux/bsd experience, but not much - why I'd rather ask here first for a base instead of having to do it all multiple times till I get it right :)

Thanks for your feedback, already helped a lot in sending me in the right direction, lot easier to do research when you got that :)