1. Welcome to the eTeknix Forums Guest. Please register or login and remember to read the forum guidelines to make your stay as pleasant as can be.

Project: BeeWet

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dJabba, Oct 20, 2014.

1. dJabba

dJabba eTeknix Staff Forum Mod

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i5 6600K
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z170 Gaming G7
    Memory (RAM):
    32GB Kingston HyperX Fury
    Storage:
    SM951 256GB in RAID 0
    Graphics Card(s):
    EVGA GTX 980 SC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    be quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850W
    Case:
    Thermaltake Core P5
    Monitor(s):
    ASUS VS248H x3, ProLite B2888UHSU
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Pro
    Internet Connection:
    90 Mbsp Fiber Optical
    Soooooooo, it is that time again. Time for a new rig. This temporary one just doesn't cut it anymore for my needs.

It is still in the planning phase, but what better way to get ideas and feedback than post here and get everyone to chime in. I will appreciate any form of feedback, suggestions and ideas you might have.

The case is ordered and on its way. I decided to get the Dimastech Easy V3. I'm going for a full custom-loop this time, and this test-bench is perfect for my plans.

The water cooling parts aren't all nailed down yet, but I plan to go with the new Airplex Radical R2 radiators from Aqua Computer that just got released and we recently reported on. To supplement those I have my eyes on the Cuplex Kryos XT for the CPU and the Kryographics Hawaii R9 290 Acrylic Glass Edition for the GPUs.

The motherboard will be the MSI Krait Z97 SLI Edition. There is no way around this. It should become available in about 2 weeks time and then I'll go and grab it as soon as possible.

I'm in doubt what CPU to get. To go for a Xeon E3-1241 v3 or i7-4790K. Both have their merits and I'd appreciate feedback here.

I already have two Sapphire Radeon R9 290 cards and a gold-rated CoolerMaster PSU. SSDs for system and storage are covered by my current Vertex4 256GB and Evo 840 1TB disk.

Even though it will clash colour wise, I'll be using my current memory for now. It's simply a matter of costs. I got a 16 GB set of Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 MHz, but in red. Then again, I might just mod them to fit.

Photos will follow as the parts arrive

2. Aruffell

Aruffell The Don eTeknix Staff Forum Admin

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7 3960X
    Motherboard:
    Asus Sabertooth X79
    Memory (RAM):
    16Gb G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz
    Storage:
    OCZ RevoDrive X2 240Gb
    Graphics Card(s):
    KFA2 GeForce GTX 680 EX OC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Thermaltake ToughPower 1350W
    Case:
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow
    Monitor(s):
    3 x Dell U3011
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Internet Connection:
    BT 7.5Mb :(
    I'll let Dave chip in about the watercooling side of things.

Why Xeon out of interest?

3. davido_labido

davido_labido Active Member

Soooooooooo.....

Any reason for those specific WC parts? There's nothing wrong with them, I'm just interested!
    You havnt mentioned fittings, pump reservoir or fans any idea what you will be using?

Il see what you go for then see how close it is to what I'd use lol =D

4. dJabba

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i5 6600K
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z170 Gaming G7
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    SM951 256GB in RAID 0
    Graphics Card(s):
    EVGA GTX 980 SC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Case:
    Thermaltake Core P5
    Monitor(s):
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Pro
    Internet Connection:
    90 Mbsp Fiber Optical
    Why considering Xeon? Cheaper chip without the iGPU that I don't need - but at the same time not really overclock-able like the i7 is. Will probably end up with an i7, though the €300 marker really hurts me for a CPU, LOL.

Why these water cooling parts? Aqua Computer has made some great products in the past and they came highly recommended to me. Originally I wanted the modular Airplex series, but the recently released Airplex Radical changed that. Seem perfect for me, and relative cheap at the same time.

The GPU and CPU coolers were just picked from the same company to keep it simple and only having to order from one place.

Reservoir, pump and fans aren't fully narrowed down yet, well I haven't even really taken a look at them yet. I figured I'd wait for the case to arrive to get a better idea on what would fit where. Fan wise I'm still leaning towards the AeroCool DS Dead Silence fans, but there might be better out by now.

Case should arrive today or tomorrow and give me a better idea of my options.

I got a good friend who has been running liquid loops for the past 10+ years that will help me with the physical build and make sure I don't forget small things like fittings, connectors or anything else I might need in the order.

5. davido_labido

davido_labido Active Member

Yeah those fans are alright tbh, they are a good mix between performance and aesthetics. There are better performing ones if your just after performance. I'm hopefully going to be doing a fan round up soon for watercooling. I just need to grab a test bench for it all!

As for the pump, id recommend a Liang D5, doesn't matter which brand, they are all made in the same place. They are a more expensive pump, but they are imo far superior, unless you run it dry it should last far longer than your computer. I gave 6 atm and I've never had a problem with them. The alternative would be a ddc which would fit in/on a test bench better. They are still good pumps but I've had one or two fail on me. Perhaps I'm unlucky though as I know people who use them all the time and they have never have a problem.

Reservoirs are down to personal preference really,

Bay Reservoirs are generally easier to fit into the loop and can hide the pumps well.
    Tube reservoirs have a range of different looks, aqua computer have a couple of nice ones iirc. I'm sure I have a couple of Aquarius or something similarly named rez's at home from them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dJabba

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i5 6600K
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z170 Gaming G7
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    SM951 256GB in RAID 0
    Graphics Card(s):
    EVGA GTX 980 SC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Case:
    Thermaltake Core P5
    Monitor(s):
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Pro
    Internet Connection:
    90 Mbsp Fiber Optical
    The Dimastech Easy V3 arrived yesterday and I've added my old system onto it for now. Mostly just to see, test and get a general impression of it. I really like it, sturdy quality and lot of options.
    I got a little trouble so far with the wiring on the buttons. Seems I have done something wrong there and have to redo those. Otherwise, it's awesome.

The AIO tubing was a bit short, but I made it work with an alternate mounting method :)
    [​IMG]

7. dJabba

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i5 6600K
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z170 Gaming G7
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    SM951 256GB in RAID 0
    Graphics Card(s):
    EVGA GTX 980 SC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Case:
    Thermaltake Core P5
    Monitor(s):
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Pro
    Internet Connection:
    90 Mbsp Fiber Optical
    Also locked in the choice for CPU now next to the motherboard. Just waiting for the Krait to become available or a delivery date less than 5 days. Can't order/pay before that due to some weird restriction.
    [​IMG]

8. dJabba

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i5 6600K
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z170 Gaming G7
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    SM951 256GB in RAID 0
    Graphics Card(s):
    EVGA GTX 980 SC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Case:
    Thermaltake Core P5
    Monitor(s):
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Pro
    Internet Connection:
    90 Mbsp Fiber Optical
    While waiting for the Krait to become available, I came across an offer I just couldn't refuse.

[​IMG]

There is a cash-back running if you buy a Gigabyte motherboard and Intel CPU at the same time, and luckily for me the combination I'm interested entitles me to €45 euro back on my order. That gives me an additional 50% market price to speculate on and I found the Gigabyte Z97X UD5H Black Edition instead

With the cash back rebate, it only comes in 12 euro above the Krait, thanks to the coincidence that I'm getting the right CPU at the same time. Added bonus is the new Next-generation upgrade warranty from Gigabyte for the Black edition motherboards.

So the order is placed and the items should be shipped today. That's going to be some performance boost from my Kaveri system :D
    [​IMG]

9. Aruffell

Aruffell The Don eTeknix Staff Forum Admin

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7 3960X
    Motherboard:
    Asus Sabertooth X79
    Memory (RAM):
    16Gb G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz
    Storage:
    OCZ RevoDrive X2 240Gb