1. Welcome to the eTeknix Forums Guest. Please register or login and remember to read the forum guidelines to make your stay as pleasant as can be.

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 10.1 - Performance at a good price.

Discussion in 'Laptops & PDAs' started by Forest Lovewood, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Forest Lovewood

Forest Lovewood New Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7 2600
    Motherboard:
    ASUS P8H77-M
    Memory (RAM):
    12GB DDR3
    Storage:
    Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Seagate 500GB 7200RPM
    Graphics Card(s):
    ASUS GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II OC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Silverstone Strider 550W
    Case:
    NZXT Source 340
    Monitor(s):
    HP 2211x (22" Full HD)
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit
    Internet Connection:
    Virgin Cable 55Mb
    I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO POST THIS! HELP!

So, I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 10.1, based on mixed reviews and the very affordable price of £179.99.

[​IMG]

Pros:
    - Great Screen - 10.1", LED Back-lit, an impressive resolution of 2560x1600, and a pixel density of 299 PPI.
    - Easy to Root, and easy to fix.
    - Affordable.
    - 8MP Camera with Full HD recording. And a proper LED Flash, which is rare in tablets.
    - 2GB RAM.
    - Speedy Processor.
    - MicroSD Card Slot.
    - Expensive Feel.
    - Relatively Light.
    - Great Custom Firmware Available.
    - Good Gaming Performance.

Cons:
    - Can get a bit toasty.
    - Battery life could be better.
    - Stock firmware is awful.
    - Knox Feature invalidates the warranty if you modify.
    - Comes with Android KitKat, with no intention to release an update to Lollipop.

Now, I'll be honest here when I say two things: 1) I've never written a review before, and 2) I've had my problems with this tablet. For example, when I first got mine, it had a really irritating touch screen problem, so I had to return it and get a replacement. Luckily, they accepted the return even though I'd rooted the tablet. That's not a terribly good review right there, because I purchased it from a seller on eBay, not from Samsung. It still had full warranty (a couple of years) and was in brand new condition though!

The warranty has since been invalidated by myself... I'll explain more later.

-- The Look and Feel --

Let's get started with the appearance. It's a pretty sexy tablet - a good size, 10.1 inches. It's got a sleek, glossy screen that doesn't attract too many fingerprints. It's actually very, very similar to the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition in software, specifications and appearance.

Here's the front:

[​IMG]

And here's the back:
    [​IMG]

In the first picture, you'll see the front buttons, same as in most, if not all Samsung devices - two touchable, back-lit markings on the digitizer that open the task switcher and go back, respectively - and in between them, the main button. It feels pretty nice to use, I'll say that.

In the second picture, you can see the back. It's obviously plastic, but it's leather effect, and the texture makes it very non-slip, which is particularly good if you're holding the tablet. Up at the top, you've got the camera, which I'll get on to later seeing as it's bloody good.

-- The Performance --

Okay, so, chip wise, this tablet is powered by an in-house designed Exynos 5 Octa 5420 made up of two processors - a quad core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A15 that is used normally, in full power mode, and a quad core 1.3GHz Cortex-A7, used for power saving mode. For graphics, there's a Mali-T628 MP6 graphics chip which deals out some pretty good gaming performance, which is important considering the high screen resolution. And for memory, there's 2GB, which should be plenty unless you love multitasking.

-- The Software --

You'd think this would lead to a smooth user experience. Nah. The stock firmware is awful. It's laggy, it runs hot, it gobbles RAM. I blame TouchWiz UI. Which is why I immediately rooted it, installed the TWRP recovery, and installed Cyanogenmod 12.1 as the operating system. This immediately sped the tablet up and made it one fun beast to use, but it had the side effect of invalidating the warranty, not that I particularly mind.

They've put on a pretty nasty little thing to catch people that root their recent devices, though - Knox. Heard of it? If you shudder and begin to break down at this name, you've heard of it. Yeah, it lets you encrypt the tablet. Yeah, it increases security to use it, possibly. But it also detects custom firmware and rooting and permanently modifies the device, changing Knox Warranty 0x0 to Knox Warranty 0x1. When it's at 0x1, your warranty is gone. Nulled. Dead. Unless Samsung is feeling nice today. And there is no way to reset it - many have tried and failed.

Let's move on.

-- The Camera --

[​IMG]

There's a lot of reasons why you might want an amazing camera on a tablet. You're the kinda guy that films concerts and likes to block out the stage for everyone behind you. You don't like carrying a phone and a tablet, and you seriously think the latter is the best option. Or maybe you're addicted to taking dick-pics.

Whatever your reason, this tablet has a heck of a camera. Well, two. The specifications alone don't sum up the quality. The first one, the rear facing camera, is 8MP. It has a flash, a proper LED one. And it can film 1080p at a none-too-shabby 30FPS. The second one, the front one, the Skype one, the awful selfie one, is 2MP. But somehow it, too, manages 30FPS 1080p video. Impressive.

Here's a picture from the rear facing camera:
    [​IMG]

And here's another one, with flash, up close.
    [​IMG]
    Note the striking quality of the dirt on my table.

Now, check out the front-facing camera:
    [​IMG]

These cameras are pretty good, right?

-- How to Get Started --

Read more about this tablet at Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/tablets/others/SM-T520NZKABTU
    Where I bought mine: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301528173038
    Full Specifications (ignore the performance reviews, CM 12.1 fixes all!): http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_pro_10_1-5940.php

If you buy one and want a walkthrough on exactly how to get Cyanogenmod 12.1 running like a dream on your tablet, tell me, and I'll update this section with a full tutorial on how.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Djolovicl

Djolovicl eTeknix Janitor Forum Mod

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4770k
    Motherboard:
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
    Memory (RAM):
    Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 2X8GB
    Storage:
    Patriot Ignite 240GB, Crucial BX200 240GB, Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB
    Graphics Card(s):
    GV-N980WF3OC-4GD WINDFORCE
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750W GOLD (Modular)
    Case:
    Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Titanium Grey - Window
    Monitor(s):
    ASUS MG279Q 1440p
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Pro.
    Internet Connection:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5909046652
    One issue with CM is that their camera applications are stock android and are never optimized for the camera that is actually on the tablet/phone. Yes CM is fast and its near stock but damn, i just cant get over that camera thing.

3. Forest Lovewood

Forest Lovewood New Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7 2600
    Motherboard:
    ASUS P8H77-M
    Memory (RAM):
    12GB DDR3
    Storage:
    Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Seagate 500GB 7200RPM
    Graphics Card(s):
    ASUS GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II OC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Silverstone Strider 550W
    Case:
    NZXT Source 340
    Monitor(s):
    HP 2211x (22" Full HD)
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit
    Internet Connection:
    Virgin Cable 55Mb
    That's one of the issues I foresaw, and for some reason the camera quality is exactly the same as in the stock. Same autofocus and everything. So it's not a problem, unlike in most cases.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Djolovicl

Djolovicl eTeknix Janitor Forum Mod

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4770k
    Motherboard:
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
    Memory (RAM):
    Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 2X8GB
    Storage:
    Patriot Ignite 240GB, Crucial BX200 240GB, Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB
    Graphics Card(s):
    GV-N980WF3OC-4GD WINDFORCE
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750W GOLD (Modular)
    Case:
    Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Titanium Grey - Window
    Monitor(s):
    ASUS MG279Q 1440p
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Pro.
    Internet Connection:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5909046652