1. Welcome to the eTeknix Forums Guest. Please register or login and remember to read the forum guidelines to make your stay as pleasant as can be.

So how has everyone's windows 10 upgrade gone so far?

Discussion in 'Windows Software' started by BakerMan1971, Jul 30, 2015.

1. BakerMan1971

BakerMan1971 Well-Known Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    i7 5820k @ 4.3GHz 1.255vcore cooled by a Custom EK/XSPC ION loop
    Motherboard:
    MSI X99S SLI Plus
    Memory (RAM):
    16gb DDR 4 2400MHz Ripjaws + 16gb Avexir Raiden ROG
    Storage:
    750GB EVO, 240GB Chronos + 2x1TB Seagate HDD's
    Graphics Card(s):
    Gigabyte GTX1060 Mini OC 6GB
    Power Supply (PSU):
    750W Seasonic Snow Silent
    Case:
    Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2
    Monitor(s):
    AOC 28" 4k
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Professional
    Internet Connection:
    FTTC 76 down 20 up.
    I have some feedback and maybe a few tips, that hopefully will grow as people add more info :)

Windows 10 upgraded on my main OS last night, already had the preview version which went full version, but that wasn't really used to it's fullest potential.

My upgrade took quite a long time to download due to peak uk time (after work). The install took about 15 minutes.

For me everything went very smoothly, on it's first boot there was an error about an application that said I might want to restart, that hasn't popped up since.

The PC feels faster , even though it's an in place upgrade. Its nice and stable so far, still running my 4.3GHz overclock.

Games (the two I tried) got off to a shakier start.
    Battlefield 4, was being a royal pain mainly due to incompatibility with EDGE browser, tried it in Chrome (which was being used on win7) and could not join any servers, it would start to load and crash out

Finally got BF4 working in IE.

GTA V, which was previously not wanting to play at all on windows 10 preview, crashed but after each relaunch got further into loading the game, about 4 restarts of the game and I was playing Single Player, Not tried multi player yet.

For those of you with Nvidia cards, there is a chance that even with the latest driver installed on Windows 7 it may be unstable after the upgrade, have been working with a friend to solve his upgrade problems, and the GPU driver was causing the machine to lock up every 6-10 minutes.

Now for his other problem, which I have not yet managed to fix.
    His Start Menu app doesnt work, he cannot load Settings, and right clicking on Desktop to attempt to use the display settings app also fails, after a very misguided "your trial period for this app has expired" we get the real error message that no program is associated with the request.

Still working on it, as we await the results of a checkdisk looks like some files were corrupted during upgrade.

Share your experiences folks :)

2. Djolovicl

Djolovicl eTeknix Janitor Forum Mod

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Celeron 3205U @ 1.50 GHz
    Memory (RAM):
    4GB DDR3L SDRAM
    Storage:
    SSD M.2 SATA3 128GB Team Lite Type 2242
    Graphics Card(s):
    Intel HD Graphics
    Monitor(s):
    ASUS MG279Q 1440p
    Operating System(s):
    Chrome OS - Version 60.0.3112.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Internet Connection:
    http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6654687385.png
    I had some problems activating it because servers were overloaded, but other than that... everything went pretty smooth.

3. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Keyroy Jenkins Forum Mod

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5
    Memory (RAM):
    16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
    Storage:
    64GB OCZ SSD for Windows, 1.5TB HDD for Gurbage, 240GB Corsair SSD For Games
    Graphics Card(s):
    PNY GeForce GTX970 & Gigabyte Windforce 3 GTX970 in SLi
    Power Supply (PSU):
    950W
    Case:
    Coolermaster Dominator CM-690 ii with NZXT Fan Control
    Monitor(s):
    Two AOC G2460F 144Hz 24" Widescreens
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 7 64Bit Pro
    Internet Connection:
    40 Down / 10 Up
    I started the download at about 17:00 UK time and it was done in 5 minutes.

The copying my files and shizzle toook a bit longer, all in about 45 minutes to fully upgrade.

I tried GTA V straight away too and was running a steady 74 FPS on Half V-Sync with no issues at all, played happily for quite a while - Until I went upstairs to sort the kids out, came back down and the PC decidly shut itself down to instal updates? lol.

Tried Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 too as I've been playing through the campaign again. Had zero issues there either.

I had one crash after running for around 4 hours when watching a video on youtube, something about a driver (I didn't take down the code), but when the PC booted back in to Windows my USB Siberia V2's weren't detected until I unplugged and put them back in. So I'm assuming it was something to do with their drivers. who knows. It then ran perfectly fine after that for anothr 2 hours before I shut it down.

It does feel faster in programmes opening, Chrome seems to snap on my screen instantly. Can't say I've tried much ese though... haha

It did confuse me when I had the menu bar on both my screens though as Im not used to having it, so went and tuned that off! :p

4. Rovit44

Rovit44 Active Member

5. Rovit44

Rovit44 Active Member

internet and PC worked fine on win 8.1, I updated to win 10 prof 64-bit on i5-3570k Asus p8z77-v lx mobo with 8gig ram. win 10 update went well but couldnt connect to internet,

I ran mini tool and it showed lots of MS Win Immersive Shell & Software Protection Platform Service Application errors, lots of Service control manager system errors, NS Office session errors, code integrity errors

I tried installing Win10 Auto Installation Program (SID:1743532) from Realtek for Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Also tried the advice in social.technet.microsoft no-ethernet-on-windows-10 and in answers.microsoft updating-a-driver

so rolled back to 8.1 and everything works fine again

I cant use win 10 if no internet so are Asus drivers or win10 to blame?

6. Hellgador

Hellgador Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel I7 4770K
    Motherboard:
    MSI Z87-GD65
    Memory (RAM):
    Corsair Vengeance 16Gb (2x8) 1600Mhz (Red)
    Storage:
    Samsung 840 Pro 250Gb (OS + software) , WD Black 1Tb x 2 (Raid 1) + seagate 700Gb(win 10 versioning)
    Graphics Card(s):
    MSI GTX 760 2Gb OC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Corsair HX750
    Case:
    Corsair 300r
    Monitor(s):
    BenQ xl2411z + HP 2310e
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Pro
    Internet Connection:
    120 Mbps / 10 Mbps
    Some programs that previously worked stopped working for example: GTA 5 & Adobe Dreamweaver (they show loading screen then program exits no logs or anything traceable at all :( ).

On laptop some programs are having difficulties utilizing full screen (traktor Pro, which is freaking anoying :( )

But in general everything is working faster and more stable. startup < 20 seconds whoop whoop.