1. Welcome to the eTeknix Forums Guest. Please register or login and remember to read the forum guidelines to make your stay as pleasant as can be.

Twinkle - X99 system build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by shiftnplay, Apr 6, 2015.

1. shiftnplay

shiftnplay Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MSI X99S SLi Plus
    Memory (RAM):
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 DDR4
    Storage:
    256 GB Plextor M6e (mr Boot) 750GB Samsung Evo (my steam/Origin) 1tb WD Black (the other stuff)
    Graphics Card(s):
    Msi 970 Gaming 4G
    Power Supply (PSU):
    EVGA supernova 750G2
    Case:
    Lian Li PC7 HWX in Black
    Monitor(s):
    Benq XL2410T
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 7 Pro/ Windows 10 evaluation (Dual Boot) (10 usually wins the Duel)
    Internet Connection:
    Its a wire and the internets talk to it.
    This is my first build log on eteknix and I hope to share some observations with you that I made while building an X99 system.

Thanks to my friend Bakerman who assisted , we often build PC's together and the most fun is during a Lan party when Somebody brings new bits along then many of the players can get together and jump in to create.Some people have tiny bendy fingers,some people can hold 3 things and a torch at the same time, and I... enjoy the build and the atmosphere.
    First thing I did was research all the individual bits.Find a pretty case, check what specifications I didn't need, to ensure I got best bang for buck but the best of everything that I could afford.
    I had already bought my MSI X99 sli plus and was saving for my 5820k processor when Bakerman bought his. He bought them both together within a couple of weeks later and found a £50 cashback deal that had just launched.

The bits list
    Lian Li PC-7HWX (black case with window) , MSI X99 sli plus (motherboard), Intel core i7 5820k, Phanteks PH-TC14PE (CPU Cooler), 16GB Corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHZ(memory) , 1 x MSI GTX970 4G (graphics), 256 GB OCZ Vector SSD (for operating system), Samsung EVO 750GB (for steam,origin), WD 1TB black 7200rpm sata hdd (for photos, movies, music), EVGA Supernova 750G2 80Plus gold (power supply) and some cable ties.

[​IMG]

I started unboxing, resisting the urge to fill you tube with videos.
    The case was the first out of its packaging and both side panels were removed.I like everything about the case but although there is room to fit more than 1 ssd, there are only enough screws supplied to fit 1 ???
    In comparison to friends cases the only other thing missing is grommets in the holes you run the cables through.
    There are 4 pre drilled holes in the top to allow a water cooling solution sub-case to be mounted and as they go through the top panel and into the chassis. I would like to use these to fit 2 handles to make lifting the case easier ,to take to Lan parties.
    Has anyone found a supplier of black handles that are 6 inches between mounting hole centres?

[​IMG]

Its a lot lighter than my older Lian Li PC 60 (my old case I have been upgrading parts in for over 10 years)
    My old case is still fine and in use as a secondary machine with a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T based build in it that is currently dual booting windows 10 and Linux Mint.

The build was quite quick taking a couple of hours including a windows 7 install. (The large windows update was run later !!)

Plenty of standard screws were supplied with the case to fit the motherboard which I checked lined up with the screw mounts first. I then fitted the power supply.

[​IMG]

Fitting the processor was straight forward followed by fitting the fixings for the Phanteks cooler.
    I connected the case switch wiring and the top motherboard wiring connecter while access was still quite easy (more difficult access when cooler in place) then installed 4 memory sticks, taking note in the manual where to place them either side of the processor to ensure quad channel support.
    Then onto the cooler.

Phanteks, your product is incredible, I really do like it and it operates close to water cooled temps. But...!!
    There is a STICKY protector on the base where you will apply thermal compound. Why is it sticky ? The protector does not come off cleanly... so stop the build and go and find some Tim Cleaner.
    Tea break and Bakerman is downloading all the latest drivers from MSI for me and the latest Bios update.
    On return its back to the cooler with a now clean base.
    We struggled with the instructions and I think many people would.I know there is quite a bit of info but separation of tasks for X99 could have been better and it states use black screw tops to mount when there are no black screw tops. Now without sounding picky why does the Black kit have black fan blades but white fan cowls and wiring ?
    This is not a cheap kit and I don't like having to pay again to change to black fans.
    There are silicone inserts you fit to the radiator faces before fitting the fans and although great attention to detail ,I would have liked them to be black.Unfortunately they are white lines on my black cooler.
    Make sure you fit the 4 small plastic clip holders to each of the fans before fitting the retaining wire clips then mounting on the coolers.
    Low profile memory allowed the fans to sit low. Standard memory height would affect this !

[​IMG]

When I fitted the graphics card I wired it from below and it looked to hang lower on the right hand side so I re routed the wiring as shown to get a nice level card fitting.
    I use a 120 hz Benq XL2410t so used a DVI D cable as HDMI cable limits it to 60 hz.

I would have liked both ssd's together in the offset holes at the top of the drive caddy but although it was created this way, there were only screws to mount 1 drive. The OCZ vector had to sit next slot down on the bracket OCZ supplied in the box.
    The power supply looks really pretty, The reviews are fantastic and as it is modular, tidy wiring was an easy task.

Power on

[​IMG]

Update the bios, latest versions boot a lot quicker and they smooth out a few other glitches that were on the bios my board came with.
    I Installed windows 7 pro and the drivers prior to leaving Twinkle to bring in all of those windows updates.

This was a good time to admire how pretty it is, and take some really bad photos that don't do justice to how amazing it looks.
    Then I installed all my favorite stuff and tweaked to my preferences.
    I use Microsoft office2010 so my email is Outlook and at this time I prefer Firefox to Internet explorer.

One interesting fault I noticed was the sound was hissing through my Steelseries Siberia 2 headset. By default the realtek audio manager had cranked up a volume slide which when adjusted removed the hiss from the onboard sound on the MSI x99 SLI plus. This was in the realtek software not the windows settings.
    I then went on to use a 7.1 dongle I have from steel series any way but hope this helps people searching for a solution to the hiss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be fitting remote LED lighting lighting and may fit 2 x 30 cm strips in the case and possibly 2 smaller strips behind the front panel to light the fan grill area.

Update

I have just dual booted this machine with Windows 10 Evaluation copy.
    After shrinking the partition on the OCZ drive following a guide posted on the internet , I tried to install w10 from a USB stick that was created very easily using Rufus. (Well done that man.That is amazing software.)
    I kept getting a message saying "we couldnt create a new partition Error Oxa 3c .......... etc"
    I went back into windows 7 and drive manager . (press windows key + R then type in diskmgmt.msc)
    I set the unformatted area as a simple drive and formatted the unused space.
    I tried to Install windows 10 again and got the message "windows cannot be installed on this disk.Selected disk has a MBR partition table on EFI System windows can only be installed on GPT discs"
    Searching the internet offered no solution other than converting from MBR to GPT which could involve a software purchase.
    Bakerman suggested looking at the bios to see if windows 8 settings were enabled.
    While in there I looked at my boot order and noticed my first device was a UEFI stick. I changed this to 1st device USB stick and the installation went ahead without error. I put motherboard drivers on then headed over to windows update.

As I went into the small hours yet again I had a quick round on Battlefield 4 (lovingly known as battlecheat4 thanks to an element of its community)
    I used to like my AMD 1090T system with 6 cores. Now I have 12 threads and DX12, I realise my old system lagged everytime I went for the kill... just at that critical confrontation moment.

Twinkle is amazing and already well beyond my expectations.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  2. Aruffell

Aruffell The Don eTeknix Staff Forum Admin

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7 3960X
    Motherboard:
    Asus Sabertooth X79
    Memory (RAM):
    16Gb G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz
    Storage:
    OCZ RevoDrive X2 240Gb
    Graphics Card(s):
    KFA2 GeForce GTX 680 EX OC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Thermaltake ToughPower 1350W
    Case:
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow
    Monitor(s):
    3 x Dell U3011
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Internet Connection:
    BT 7.5Mb :(
    Nice build matey :)

What you thinking of Windows 10 so far? Surprised that you didn't got for an AIO watercooler though.

Andy

3. BakerMan1971

BakerMan1971 Well-Known Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    i7 5820k @ 4.3GHz 1.255vcore cooled by a Custom EK/XSPC ION loop
    Motherboard:
    MSI X99S SLI Plus
    Memory (RAM):
    16gb DDR 4 2400MHz Ripjaws + 16gb Avexir Raiden ROG
    Storage:
    750GB EVO, 240GB Chronos + 2x1TB Seagate HDD's
    Graphics Card(s):
    Gigabyte GTX1060 Mini OC 6GB
    Power Supply (PSU):
    750W Seasonic Snow Silent
    Case:
    Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2
    Monitor(s):
    AOC 28" 4k
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Professional
    Internet Connection:
    FTTC 76 down 20 up.
    AHA!!! Twinkle finally gets it's build log :)
    Well done, it's a very good write up, it's nice to see you left out what could have been diagnosed as tourettes as I attempted to put those clips on the fans :)

Me and Shiftnplay have been doing some things in tandem, I also dual booted windows 10 with my 7 install this weekend, and am finding it pretty cool.
    Early issues are, Locking up when monitor frequency is changed in most games, I have a 144Hz monitor and getting that going in BF4 took many attempts, in the end, a change to 1024x768 144Hz worked, then I could do a resolution change back to 1080p 144Hz.

GTA IV is dead so far on windows 10, can only get it running for a few minutes at a time, main issue was GFWL (fail for windows live) installing the latest version manually got me into the game, still working on problems
    looking at windows 8.1 fixes now.

and @Aruffell as far as AIO's are concerned, we have had many many discussions on the topic, I have just taken the plunge (last December) on my first one, and enjoy the benefits, (better ram clearance more room to work and great cooling) however the maintenance to look after it, takes more attention.

now we both just need to learn to take decent photos :)

4. shiftnplay

shiftnplay Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MSI X99S SLi Plus
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    256 GB Plextor M6e (mr Boot) 750GB Samsung Evo (my steam/Origin) 1tb WD Black (the other stuff)
    Graphics Card(s):
    Msi 970 Gaming 4G
    Power Supply (PSU):
    EVGA supernova 750G2
    Case:
    Lian Li PC7 HWX in Black
    Monitor(s):
    Benq XL2410T
    Operating System(s):
    Internet Connection:
    Hi Andy, I am pleasantly surprised at how good and stable the evaluation is... although I dual boot , I already find I spend more time in windows 10.
    Im still coming to terms with the idea of water and electricity but will no doubt explore it some time soon... maybe when some of my friends tell me where the missing water in their Raijinteks is going....
    And I always like to keep something to look forward to.

5. Sharif

Sharif Well-Known Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Phenom II X4 955
    Motherboard:
    M4A785TD-V EVO
    Memory (RAM):
    Kingston 8 gig
    Storage:
    2 x HDD (total 1.5TB)
    Graphics Card(s):
    GTX 970 Strix
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Corsair CX600M
    Case:
    NZXT H440
    Monitor(s):
    Dell U2412m + LG IPS something something
    Operating System(s):
    W8.1 pro
    Internet Connection:
    40mbs~
    Wow nice amazing!

6. grumpydaddy

grumpydaddy Forum Mod

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MVG
    Memory (RAM):
    G-Skill 2400 TridentX
    Storage:
    240G 840 Pro
    Graphics Card(s):
    hd7950
    Power Supply (PSU):
    seasonic x-650
    Case:
    Lian Li PC90B
    Monitor(s):
    Dell 24"
    Operating System(s):
    Win7 Ult
    Internet Connection:
    http://speedtest.net/result/2069640221.png
  7. BakerMan1971

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MSI X99S SLI Plus
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    Graphics Card(s):
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Case:
    Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2
    Monitor(s):
    AOC 28" 4k
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Professional
    Internet Connection:
    FTTC 76 down 20 up.
    It is so expensive to do watercooling 'properly' though, but I do agree getting there in the end is the best idea.
    Hoping to upgrade my rad to a 240mm copper in the coming months, see how that goes, then onto other things :)

8. grumpydaddy

grumpydaddy Forum Mod

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MVG
    Memory (RAM):
    G-Skill 2400 TridentX
    Storage:
    240G 840 Pro
    Graphics Card(s):
    hd7950
    Power Supply (PSU):
    seasonic x-650
    Case:
    Lian Li PC90B
    Monitor(s):
    Dell 24"
    Operating System(s):
    Win7 Ult
    Internet Connection:
    You could just run the waterblock on board and everything else remote. Makes the rig less portable but allows flexibility of parts and the possibility of running a number of rigs from the same cooling...... and if it is outside or even in another room then it is quiet with a capital Q

let me show you a rather xtreme example I built before I moved to using stock speed rigs for crunching..... Yep, on XS I am OldChap

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?267018-Cooling-with-just-one-rad

9. BakerMan1971

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MSI X99S SLI Plus
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    Graphics Card(s):
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Case:
    Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2
    Monitor(s):
    AOC 28" 4k
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Professional
    Internet Connection:
    FTTC 76 down 20 up.
    ok yeah, that's a bit crazy, I need to at least be able to move my rig :)

10. Aruffell

Aruffell The Don eTeknix Staff Forum Admin

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7 3960X
    Motherboard:
    Asus Sabertooth X79
    Memory (RAM):
    16Gb G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz
    Storage:
    OCZ RevoDrive X2 240Gb
    Graphics Card(s):
    KFA2 GeForce GTX 680 EX OC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Thermaltake ToughPower 1350W
    Case:
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow
    Monitor(s):
    3 x Dell U3011
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Internet Connection:
    BT 7.5Mb :(
    I remember MOAF, going back some years now :D

11. grumpydaddy

grumpydaddy Forum Mod

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MVG
    Memory (RAM):
    G-Skill 2400 TridentX
    Storage:
    240G 840 Pro
    Graphics Card(s):
    hd7950
    Power Supply (PSU):
    seasonic x-650
    Case:
    Lian Li PC90B
    Monitor(s):
    Dell 24"
    Operating System(s):
    Win7 Ult
    Internet Connection:
    Hehehe yep 4 years ago.

The prettiest version of this idea I have seen involves a Phobya Xtreme SUPERNOVA 1260 Radiator but there are MO-Ra versions to consider too.

Such a cooling build can be moved ok or with the use of quick disconnects separated easily but these ones are all pricey compared to my Heath Robinson build

12. shiftnplay

shiftnplay Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MSI X99S SLi Plus
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    Graphics Card(s):
    Msi 970 Gaming 4G
    Power Supply (PSU):
    EVGA supernova 750G2
    Case:
    Lian Li PC7 HWX in Black
    Monitor(s):
    Benq XL2410T
    Operating System(s):
    Internet Connection:
    Thank you grumpydaddy, the Phanteks PH-TC14PE fitted my budget nicely, offers great cooling at stock speeds, (I haven't explored overclocking yet) and was fitted quite quickly with limited planning.
    Your skills and builds are beyond my ability but I did enjoy the links.

13. BakerMan1971

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MSI X99S SLI Plus
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    Graphics Card(s):
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Case:
    Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2
    Monitor(s):
    AOC 28" 4k
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Professional
    Internet Connection:
    FTTC 76 down 20 up.
    Looking forward to Twinkle's new addition, and yes I am quite a bit jealous.

14. RockCrawler

RockCrawler New Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    AMD FX9370
    Motherboard:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Memory (RAM):
    G Skill Ripjaw 1886 MHz
    Storage:
    Samsung Evo Pro 840 256GB, WD Black 2TB
    Graphics Card(s):
    Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1
    Power Supply (PSU):
    BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 10 750 Watt
    Case:
    Aerocool XPredator X1 Devil Red
    Monitor(s):
    Dell Ultrasharp (2x)
    Operating System(s):
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Looks nice ;)

15. BakerMan1971

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MSI X99S SLI Plus
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    Graphics Card(s):
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Case:
    Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2
    Monitor(s):
    AOC 28" 4k
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Professional
    Internet Connection:
    FTTC 76 down 20 up.
    needs more overclock! :)

16. shiftnplay

shiftnplay Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MSI X99S SLi Plus
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    Graphics Card(s):
    Msi 970 Gaming 4G
    Power Supply (PSU):
    EVGA supernova 750G2
    Case:
    Lian Li PC7 HWX in Black
    Monitor(s):
    Benq XL2410T
    Operating System(s):
    Internet Connection:
    Thank you Rock Crawler.

Its looking prettier now with led lighting and I have been playing with overclocking. Its up from 3.3 Ghz to 4.4 Ghz. It will boot at 4.5 Ghz but it gets cranky when stress testing.

17. BakerMan1971

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MSI X99S SLI Plus
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    Graphics Card(s):
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Case:
    Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2
    Monitor(s):
    AOC 28" 4k
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Professional
    Internet Connection:
    FTTC 76 down 20 up.
    so Shift we need screenshots of Bios settings, Post of bench score, and that ahhhh feeling as you enjoy smoother gameplay with the OC
    also moar piccies with LED's going :)

18. shiftnplay

shiftnplay Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MSI X99S SLi Plus
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    Graphics Card(s):
    Msi 970 Gaming 4G
    Power Supply (PSU):
    EVGA supernova 750G2
    Case:
    Lian Li PC7 HWX in Black
    Monitor(s):
    Benq XL2410T
    Operating System(s):
    Internet Connection:
    here are a couple of the many colours available with the Led lighting kit from the TopLed Shop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  19. shiftnplay

shiftnplay Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Motherboard:
    MSI X99S SLi Plus
    Memory (RAM):
    Storage:
    Graphics Card(s):
    Msi 970 Gaming 4G
    Power Supply (PSU):
    EVGA supernova 750G2
    Case:
    Lian Li PC7 HWX in Black
    Monitor(s):
    Benq XL2410T
    Operating System(s):
    Internet Connection:
    Here are a couple of screen shots of the stability testing after overclocking the processor. You can see it booted and ran at 4.5Ghz but I had to drop it back to 4.4Ghz to stay stable under load. I t may just need a touch more voltage as it was stable before applying load.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one will be of interest...this is running at 4.5 Ghz with core voltage at 1.274

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  20. Djolovicl

Djolovicl eTeknix Janitor Forum Mod

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Celeron 3205U @ 1.50 GHz
    Memory (RAM):
    4GB DDR3L SDRAM
    Storage:
    SSD M.2 SATA3 128GB Team Lite Type 2242
    Graphics Card(s):
    Intel HD Graphics
    Monitor(s):
    ASUS MG279Q 1440p
    Operating System(s):
    Chrome OS - Version 60.0.3112.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Internet Connection:
    http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6654687385.png
    I am not seeing those images, probably because they are linked from Facebook. @shiftnplay could you please upload them to imgur or some other image sharing website.