1. Welcome to the eTeknix Forums Guest. Please register or login and remember to read the forum guidelines to make your stay as pleasant as can be.

Upgrading graphics; what should I get?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Flenix, May 20, 2016.

1. Flenix

Flenix Active Member

Hey all! Long time follower of eTeknix, but not really post here much before.

I'm looking for some advice with what graphics card to get. Currently I'm using a Radeon 7950 which is a tad outdated, and on its way out too (screens keep flickering etc).

I'm wanting to get a Virtual Reality rig set up, so upgrading is essential. The question is, what should I go with?

Rest of my system is an i7 5820k (Not overclocked or anything), 32gb DDR4 RAM, and I run two DP monitors at 1920x1080 - but would eventually like to add a third.

Other than VR, it'd be nice to run current games at relatively good settings. Ideally I want something that will keep me going for a long time and won't be instantly outdated - I'm not the kind of person who obsesses over every tiny graphic detail (I grew up with console games...), so as long as I have a good framerate I'm happy. VR is the essential though as I plan to develop for it too.

Budget wise I don't want to go too OTT, probably around the £400 mark tops but if there's a significant difference for a small amount more, I'll go a little over. I'm happy to buy used so long as it'd do the job well (I know there's the new GTX 1080 coming out soon so figure some people might be selling recent cards to buy it?)

Any help much appreciated. I've been building my own basic PCs since I was about 12 but graphics cards have always just confused me a little!

2. Djolovicl

Djolovicl eTeknix Janitor Forum Mod

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4770k
    Motherboard:
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
    Memory (RAM):
    Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 2X8GB
    Storage:
    Patriot Ignite 240GB, Crucial BX200 240GB, Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB
    Graphics Card(s):
    GV-N980WF3OC-4GD WINDFORCE
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750W GOLD (Modular)
    Case:
    Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Titanium Grey - Window
    Monitor(s):
    ASUS MG279Q 1440p
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Pro.
    Internet Connection:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5909046652
    Not only has Nvidia released their new line of cards, AMD will do it soon, so this is the worst time to look for a video card. I would say wait for AMD to release what they have and wait for another 3 or 4 for prices to drop, all the benchmarks to come out and stable versions of drivers to be released.

3. Flenix

Flenix Active Member

3 to 4 as in months? If I wait until then, surely more cards will be on the horizon that I might as well wait for too?
    I've been putting off a new card for quite a while, I can probably wait until end of June (give me a bit more time to save up I suppose, but I'm planning on ordering my Vive by then) but my current card is on its last legs :p

4. Jammal

Jammal Active Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    i3 6100
    Memory (RAM):
    2*4gb Hyperx Fury 2133Mhz
    Graphics Card(s):
    Asus GTX 570
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10
    If you want to invest into VR i would wait for AMD's big chips. I don't think the pascal is better in fine-grained preemption than the maxwell was so for vr amd is still better.

5. Jinja_Ninja

Jinja_Ninja New Member

Wait for vega then decide

6. John Smith

John Smith Active Member

Guessing you already got something given that it's December but hey, why not wait longer for vega if you didn't :)

7. Kelvin Kok

Kelvin Kok New Member

vega.........

8. Richard Field

Richard Field New Member

I would get 1070 they seem the best option right now

9. Harry11x

Harry11x New Member

I'm waiting on prices to drop myself, got my eye on a 1070 if drop enough or a rx 480 would be great, but I can wait my r9 380 isn't that bad yet, and runs all my games great.

10. Farcas Robert

Farcas Robert New Member

1070 is the best choice i think

11. Alvin D

Alvin D New Member

AFAIK, anything that's RX 480 or above is good for VR in terms of AMD's side. For Nvidia, anything that's 1070 or above would be good. I heard 1060 is okay but 1070 is a safe pick.

12. Harry11x

Harry11x New Member

yah id get a 1070 or a very good 1060 but if you cant afford those the RX 480 will be dropping in price soon.

13. RollsRoyce89

RollsRoyce89 New Member

1050 Ti is fine as well if you are in tight budget and it uses very low power consumption.