1. Welcome to the eTeknix Forums Guest. Please register or login and remember to read the forum guidelines to make your stay as pleasant as can be.

Virtual Reality Telepresence System

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by SimpleCookie, May 11, 2017.

1. SimpleCookie

SimpleCookie Well-Known Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i5 4690K 3,5 GHz, 6MB, previously CPU Core i5 2500K
    Motherboard:
    MSI Z97S SLI-Plus, previously MSI P67A-GD65, P67, ATX B3
    Memory (RAM):
    Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz/VENG
    Storage:
    Samsung SSD EVO 850-Series 500GB and HD1TB WD SATA-600 64MB, Caviar Black
    Graphics Card(s):
    MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TwinFrozr, previously EVGA GeForce GTX 570 SC
    Power Supply (PSU):
    BeQuiet 700 W, previously XFX Core Edition 650W 80+ Bronze (RMA'd)
    Case:
    Kab Fractal Design Define R3/BLACk
    Monitor(s):
    ROG SWIFT PG278Q
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 8.1 Professional N 64bit
    Internet Connection:
    100/100 Fiber
    Hey guys, I'm currently working on my master's thesis and I'm creating a telepresence system for virtual reality. Frankly speaking, I don't have any more time available to put into the implementation, from now on I'm only going to be writing on the thesis. But I figured I could share the idea with you guys and let you know what I've been working on for the past 5 months.

Background
    For those who are not sure of what telepresence is I will try to explain it briefly to you. A telepresence system is similar to a normal communication system, the difference is, they often encourage collaboration. In my thesis I wrote the following:

".... defined Telepresence as the mutual feeling of presence at the same location by two or more participants while in reality, the participants are at different locations."

".... defines Telepresence as a feeling of being presence in a environment derived from technology and similarly, .... defines Telepresence as the feeling of being present at a remote location or being present with a remote person."​

So I think you got the idea of what telepresence is now.
    Now to my application. I have developed such system using the game engine Unreal Engine 4 and the HTC Vive VR headset. It has been a very fun but challenging project. My project may seem quite "small" or "light" but I have put a lot of hours into this.

So what does my project consist of?
    I've developed 2 types of characters
    - A first person character
    - A virtual reality character​
    The first person character can walk using WASD, jump with space and talk with the microphone as in a normal game.
    The virtual reality character is a bit more complex than that. First off, the character only works together with a Virtual Reality headset. Secondly, the character's animations is being approximated based on your head and hand locations, so if you are standing, it is also standing. If you are bending, it is also bending. Although, this assumes it is calibrated to your height. It also moves the arms accordingly to as you move your hands in reality.

Another functionality I am quite proud of which I have implemented is a whiteboard/painting system. Basically, the user controlling a virtual reality character may create a cube (imagine a whiteboard), the user may move this cube around freely as they wish and even place it in mid-air if so wanted.
    The user may then paint/draw on this cube and create an illustration or write stuff. it's all up to the imagination.

The idea is to allow users to sketch things, do brainstorming and even have online/distance lectures using this system. Although, the prototype definitely needs more improvement before it gets to that stage.

Finally, in case anyone is interested in reading the thesis, it can be found here: https://www.sharelatex.com/project/5885bcd08da44fa81dea5ea6
    Although, I don't think it's a fun read, besides, it's not even finished yet. But if you have feedback, I would love to hear it.