1. Welcome to the eTeknix Forums Guest. Please register or login and remember to read the forum guidelines to make your stay as pleasant as can be.

What case do you have?

Discussion in 'Cases and modifications' started by eagle_ro, Mar 15, 2009.

1. x.clay

x.clay Well-Known Member

My system is pretty new so it would be hard to justify a total system overhaul. I do feel like my case outclasses the rest of my setup.

As mentioned it was free :)

For air cooling I think this case would be hard to beat but I would never pay $350-$400 for any computer case. I paid $60 for my CM 690. This case is definately marketed towards people with more money that me :) that being said I tend to agree with some of the reviews that I have read that say it is a solid concept that could use a little polish on the execution. The case is made of thick aluminum which I'm guessing is a large part of the high price tag. Cable management is doable but was a bit of a challenge. You can't really run much behind the motherboard and the middle fan bracket is pretty wide so getting all the cables around it was tough. I ended up running a lot of my cables behind the 5.25" bays and secured them with zip ties which worked pretty well.

There were a few small annoyances that I encountered while building with this case. My 2-year old daughter already managed to break the power button. She loves bottons and switches and is definately threatening the life of my DVD-rom. I found her several times pushing the power button again and again and then it got stuck in the down position. When trying to get it to shift back in place the tiny prongs that hold the switch broke making the power button unusable. I have the reset button rigged up as a power botton and hopefully NZXT will get my a new power botton assembly. The front LED fans aren't totally consistant in color. The bottom fan is a uniform blue/blue-green color. The upper fan has two LEDs that are a blue/blue-green color and the upper two LEDs are more of a purple blue. It is subtile but I notice the little details. Also, the screw holes have a small steel reinforcing insert to prevent you from stipping the soft aluminum. I managed to somehow pop two of these out when installing screws. It didn't really impact anything but was a little frustrating. Also, NZXT kinda went cheap on the 5.25" to 3.5" bay sheild/adapter as it is the only plastic item in the entire case. Once again not a big deal. The paint job matches and I don't think anyone would notice but I was stratching my head wonder why they didn't match the materials in the rest of the case.

For the pros I love the styling. Styling is all a matter of opinion and differs from person to person but the Khaos is one of my favorite cases when it comes to styling. I love the all metal construction. No plastic bits (except for the drive bay adapter).

For an air cooling setup this case certainly delivers. I have read forums threads complaining about how their new Lian Li full tower ran hot and then getting the response that they are really made more for a water cooling setup than for air cooling. You definately don't have to worry about that with this case. I'm not sure how well it would do for watercooling but you might be able to mount a radiator on the middle bracket but the clearances would be tight. I don't plan to ever go to water cooling so I'm very pleased with the performance.

I wasn't sure if I would like the two little luggage-style wheels under the front (I can post pictures later) but I have found them to be really useful. You can't see them when the case in on the floor and they make it much easier to move the case around. It is pretty heavy once everything is installed. I also really like that NZXT sperated the PSU from the motherboard area. It hides a lot of the cable clutter and keeps the heat away from the motherboard and video card area.

A few other thoughts - This case does not have any tooless installation features. Everything is installed with screws. I don't mind as I don't move things around much and I like things to be nice and secure. Also, this case is huge! - but that is to be expected for a full tower case. If you look at the beauty shot photo it basically is as tall as the small filing cabinet in the background. My wife was rolling her eyes at how big the case is but she knows I like it so she hasn't harassed me too much about it.

I think if NZXT could bring the price tag on this case down to the $200-$300 range and address a few other issues they would have a winner. With a price tag of $400 people expect perfection and any flaw is magnified. I'm at work right now but I'll get a few more pictures of the case up later.

EDIT: Good greif this post got long - sorry :p I'll get more pictures and less text up soon.

2. x.clay

x.clay Well-Known Member

Here are a couple more pictures starting with the not so pretty side of case. For cable management I ran most of the cables behind the 5.25" drive bays

[​IMG]

A shot of the back

[​IMG]

You can see the power supply area in this one

[​IMG]

Here are the small wheels in the front of the case:

[​IMG]

3. tilica

tilica New Member

Gees! Now that`s what i call a "cool" case! How many vents u have in it?

4. anonemus

anonemus Pentium FTW

Very nice clay! What camera did you use?

5. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus The Br1anat0r

*wants to sex x.clay's case*

:D

But really, that is nice.

*goes to clean drool off keyboard again*

6. anonemus

anonemus Pentium FTW

Sexing that cool case will really give you a jolt! :D

7. anonemus

anonemus Pentium FTW

8. x.clay

x.clay Well-Known Member

It has the two front intake vents with 120mm fans, side vents along the length of each side panel, a top exhaust vent near the back with a 140mm fan, bottom intake vent near the PSU, and the rear exhaust 120mm fan. I added the slotted expansion slot covers to help vent hot air from around my grpahics card.

LOL

Canon Digital Elph Powershot

9. opteron

opteron New Member

Sorry for the delay...

I used to have a SilverStone ST06 wind tunnel (reverse layout) ATX case. Since the cooling is quite effective, a similar "wind tunnel" concept is important IMHO for efficient cooling, esp. for the sensitive HDD. Priority is data over CPU overclocking, esp for mATX cases.

The 3 unique selling points for most Soldam cases are:

1) quality pure aluminium material used.

2) optimized air flow design (from the front panel all the way to the back) with proper fan layouts

3) Made in Japan quality!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. anonemus

anonemus Pentium FTW

Nice Soldam case, opteron. Will long graphic cards fit?

I'm beginning to like shorter case but longer in length, rather than tall one...

11. x.clay

x.clay Well-Known Member

Nice clean looking case. I like how the hard drives are angled to help channel air through the case.

12. opteron

opteron New Member

It can support up to 25.5cm long video cards. Is it enough for power cards like 4890?

Yap, i like short cases too. ;)

13. sNiPeRbOb

sNiPeRbOb Water Cooled

just got my sugo in!

before fan controller and hiper white led fans
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. anonemus

anonemus Pentium FTW

Sorry, I think in inches. That's roughly 10". I don't know how long a 4890 is but I like clearances for almost 12" long card in a case. Some of the newer cards are really getting long...

15. LovermanOwens

LovermanOwens New Member

I have a Thermaltake Armor +

All in all it is first high-end-ish case i have ever owned. And I am very happy with it. All i need are some good 140mm Blue LED fans and i'll be in business.

16. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus The Br1anat0r

Hopefully that will be at least partially fixed by the introduction of 40nm... who knows.

17. Anledai

Anledai New Member

That Silverstone Sugo case looks very similar to shape n size of Thermaltake's Lanbox Lite series.

No doubt though Silverstone are considerably better quality.

Sniperbob any chance of some Pics of the inside?

I'd like to see the layout of the case and how much room it has :)

18. sNiPeRbOb

sNiPeRbOb Water Cooled

Lucky you! i took my camera home with me this weekend as well as my SUGO. Will take some pics later tonight probably. (please don't laugh at my current GFX card in there... 8600gts is all i have while my 9800gtx is in my big rig!) Keep watching, ill post some up later

19. sushrukh

sushrukh Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Q6600
    Motherboard:
    ASUS Maximus II Gene & Commando
    Memory (RAM):
    Transcend 2GB DDR2 800 Value Ram :(
    Storage:
    OCZ Agility 2 , Kingston SSDNow V100 , WD Caviar Black 2 X 1TB , LG 10X Blu Ray Writer
    Graphics Card(s):
    EVGA GTX 460
    Power Supply (PSU):
    CoolerMaster M700W Modular
    Case:
    CoolerMaster Cosmos S
    Monitor(s):
    Dell G2410H 24" Full HD LED
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 7 X64 Ultimate SP1
    Internet Connection:
    WiMax 1.5Mbps
    I'm using a Cosmos S.Pretty satisfied.

20. raztah

raztah Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    AMD A10 6800K Richland - Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Motherboard:
    Asrock FM2A75M-ITX
    Memory (RAM):
    OCZ 2x2GB 1600Mhz
    Storage:
    OCZ 256GB Vector
    Graphics Card(s):
    XFX HD7750 1GB/128bit GDDR5 Double D Black Edition
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro M Bronze
    Case:
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced ITX
    Monitor(s):
    LG 18.5" Flatron
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 7 Ulitmate 64 bit
    Internet Connection:
    lousy PLDT broadband DSL @ 1.5megabit connection
    wow nice casings! too bad i cant buy one.. hehe.. for now im using my very old casing.. 9 years old! so heavy yet stil kicking a## hehe.. i modded it a year ago to have a new look...i put vents, fans.. acrylic... repaintd to black... now.. it looks 8 years old versus a 9 year old look..lol