1. Welcome to the eTeknix Forums Guest. Please register or login and remember to read the forum guidelines to make your stay as pleasant as can be.

Windows: Win8 System Backup; Recovery/EFI Partition(???)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by David Macdonald Ajang, Jun 6, 2014.

1. David Macdonald Ajang

David Macdonald Ajang Well-Known Member

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7 2600 3.4GHz
    Motherboard:
    ECS H67H2-M
    Memory (RAM):
    8GB Kingston DDR3-1333
    Storage:
    60GB Patriot Pyro SATA3; 640GB WD SATA2 7200rpm
    Graphics Card(s):
    Powercolor Radeon HD6870 2GB
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Cooler Master GX 750W
    Case:
    Aerocool Aeroengine 2
    Monitor(s):
    HP LP2475W IPS 1920x1200
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 7 HP 64-bit
    Internet Connection:
    512kbps DSL
    I recently purchased new Acer laptop with Win8 installed. I was planning to make a system backup with my Acronis True Image Live DVD. The reason is the same as the reason I made Win7 system backups for my previous laptop and desktop PC. I want install some software which require online activation and can only be installed up 3 PCs. After restoring the backup, the activation is preserved so I'm saved from the hassle of contacting technical support over activation issues. I've never seen or dealt with Recovery Partition and EFI system partition before on my Win7 PC as I reformat and installed the OS myself.

This is my question:
    1. If I go ahead with the backup process, will everything boot and run normally after restoring the new backup to the system partition (C:\) with Acronis? I'm concerned if it is affected by the EFI partition.
    2. What exactly is a Recovery Partition? Some soft of system backup made by OEM? Is there a way to delete the Recovery Partition?
    3. Are there any consequences for attempting to delete the EFI partition as well?

2. Djolovicl

Djolovicl eTeknix Janitor Forum Mod

Show PC Specs
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4770k
    Motherboard:
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
    Memory (RAM):
    Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 2X8GB
    Storage:
    Patriot Ignite 240GB, Crucial BX200 240GB, Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB
    Graphics Card(s):
    GV-N980WF3OC-4GD WINDFORCE
    Power Supply (PSU):
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750W GOLD (Modular)
    Case:
    Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Titanium Grey - Window
    Monitor(s):
    ASUS MG279Q 1440p
    Operating System(s):
    Windows 10 Pro.
    Internet Connection:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5909046652
    I don't know much, but what i do know i will share. I apologize in advance if some of this info turns out to be false.

1. I was able to backup and restore both Win 7 and Win 8.1 installed on UEFI partitioned HDD's. When recoviring them i only recovered actual Windows partition and left the other two untouched.
    2. System Reserved partition holds the boot files & repair tools (check: System Recovery Options - Boot to in Windows 8). Computer boot to this partition first, and then hand off to the Windows partition, so trying to delete it could and probably will screw up your OS aka it wont be able to boot normally.
    3. Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) - It's technically an upgrade to the BIOS, it is now a standard and it allows you to upgrade firmware on other devices like Video Cards and such.

If you really don't like those you can always reformat your disk using MBR standard, and installing windows. But then the advantages of the UEFI will not be available. Of course, if you are installing it on a HDD larger than 3TB you will have to stick to GPT standard.

P.S. There was A LOT of talk on the internet in the last... well almost a decade, about MBR, GPT, EFI and UEFI, Recovery partitions, etc. Just Googlin any of those will provide you with enough info to last you two lifetimes.